Friday, August 29, 2008

My Great Aunt told me she was looking forward to "Pounding the new Preacher"

"I was tickled to learn that 'pounding' someone was new to you. I've always heard it used as in 'pounding the preacher.' The Appalachians are filled with tiny Methodist churches since the circuit riders were about the only ones who'd waste their time up there (I'm not sure there's one Lutheran church in all of the Southern Appalachians). So when the Methodist preachers changed churches every summer, the congregation would fill the pantry of the parsonage with pounds of staples. This is still in use in rural congregations; I was 'pounded' when I started a ministry in Springfield, TN, a small town 30 miles north of Nashville, though most of the younger members brought things like pies ...."

A pound of coffee.
A pound of bacon.
A pound of butter.
A pound of bread.
A pound of sugar.... I learn something new every day. FD

No comments: