Saturday, December 27, 2008

Another reason VHS is DEAD this year....

Digital TV switch may call for new recorder

Q: I hope you don't mind another digital converter question, but with the February deadline approaching I've got some questions.

Namely, I have a digital converter box on my TV, as I only receive over-the-air channels. I also have a VCR and a DVD recorder. How can I watch one show while I record another?
C.C., Dallas

A: The short answer is that you need more than one tuner. Your digital converter box is a tuner. It's designed to receive the digital signal from your antenna. That's all you need if you just want to watch one TV and even if you just want to record what's on while you watch.

If you want to take it up a notch and watch one show while recording another, you'll need two digital converter boxes – one for the TV and one for the recording device. You'll also need a simple coax splitter to split your antenna signal so you can route an antenna input wire to each converter box.

One other thing to consider is buying a new recorder.
Most older VCRs and DVD recorders had analog tuners, which we all know are useless after Feb. 27.

No comments: