Tuesday, April 28, 2009

DMN, switching its position on the Sheriff?

Sheriff courtesy patrols lauded for their work

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/042809dnmetcrimeblog.11c45976d.html
Recently, David Payne, a retired Dallas police lieutenant who I've known for quite some time, emailed me a letter that he sent to the Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez lauding the efforts of her department's courtesy patrols.
Here's the letter:
"On April 11, 2009 I was traveling west on I-30 at the I-75 and I-45 exit near downtown Dallas when I had a flat tire on my front left. I had very little space to pull over and being on the freeway side of the car, I was in great danger of being struck and killed by passing cars speeding by. I was, to put it mildly, in a life or death situation.
Within 5-10 minutes, two Dallas County Courtesy Patrol Officers arrived to assist. By that time, I had the flat tire off and my wife was there to rush to Discount Tire to get it replaced before closing at 5:00 p.m. I advised the two officers I would like for them to come back as soon as I got the tire replaced as my jack was not big enough to get the car high enough to get a new tire back on. They provided me a phone number to call and told me to call them when I was on my way back and they would return and assist.

No comments: