Monday, August 31, 2009

Palm "walking" trees



http://travel.mongabay.com/pix/peru/manu-Manu_1022_1870.html


Stilt roots of walking palm tree
Location: Manu National Park in the Rainforest of Peru


Recently I visited this nature trial of Seychelles near the Babarons beach; trail was not long about 800m from the main road. It reminded me of Sinharaja Forest in Sri Lanka, a primary forest like Amazon. The water was so cold that I thought of not having a bath, I regret that decision now. There were these peculiar looking trees which looked like giant Arthropods with so many legs like roots. Some one told me that these are called Walking trees because the tree actually moves on the ground with time. Roots on one side of thee tree grows over each other while the roots on the other side dies, so literally speaking the tree move on the ground with time. Not a bad idea, it must be using this to move towards more fertile soil. These are some of the pictures I took.

No comments: